|Recipe: Turmeric Ice Cream|
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup half & half
- about 1 oz whole or large chunks of turmeric root
- 4 pods whole black cardamom
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Stir egg yolks and sugar together until frothy and yellow
- Bring milk, half and half to boil slowly with turmeric, cardamom and vanilla
- Pour hot milk into egg mixture very slowly, in 1/3 cup increments, whisking well to temper the egg mixture
- Once 2/3 of the milk has been added to the eggs, pour the milk and egg mixture back into the pot and whisk well
- Put the pot back over medium heat. Stir intermittently to keep the mixture from sticking to the pot and burning
- Once the mixture begins to thicken to a consistency like pudding, remove it from heat
- Remove cardamom pods and turmeric root
- Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- Add cream to mixture and stir well.
- Put mixture in your ice cream freezer and follow the instructions for your ice cream freezer
- Remove when ice cream reaches the desired consistency. Freeze for two hours or overnight before serving
- Eat it all up!
Black cardamom is smokier than most cardamom. You can substitute white or green cardamom but the flavor will be slightly different.
Most of the prep time involves having the ice cream mixture in the fridge or freezer. Most of the cooking time involves having the ice cream in the ice cream freezer. The active time for this recipe is about 25 minutes.
You can vary the quantities of milk, half and half, and cream– it should come out to 3 1/2 cups total, but you may like a different texture better. Use more cream and less milk for thicker ice cream, more milk and less cream if you like it lighter.
Mirrored from Nommable!.